Saturday, December 13, 2008

Using My Senses

"Tap...tap...taptaptap...tap." Its silent all around me, except for that noise..."tap tap tap..." and every so often a soft "whooshing sound" outside the window. A soft sigh every so often...

The sound of a rain storm in Spain. The sound of my fingers on the keyboard of the laptop...The sound of my roommate resting after a long day.

This may seem trivial to write about, and I promise this entry won't be a description of the rain (although it is colder here than i expected...), however, rain is only just the beginning.


Every day here is a challenge for each of my senses...each one is in overdrive. I can't seem to take it all in. The sound of the Spanish language (which is so amazingly beautiful if you truly listen to it...), the subway noise, the random street performers, the cars honking, the police sirens, the roaring of the busses...and still more Spanish language. Even the TV can be overwhelming at times... My mind struggles to keep up with everything, and I have found myself "zoning out" at times while riding the subway, because I think my body tells me to just shut down for a few minutes so my brain can catch up. It may sound funny, but cultural submersion is certainly no joke...Every so often I hear English, and my ears strain to catch it...I miss it ... but I am thankful for that feeling...

At the end of the day, my eyes seem to almost ache because they have strained to take in everything they possibly can - the culture here is absolutely ancient and the country likes it that way. They strive to keep it that way. Although to my amazement, the ancient city streets of Barcelona are immediately contrasted by the blaring lights of "La Rambla" where the nightlife of Barcelona rears its head...immediately across the street. Two different worlds, one ancient, and one modern, separated by a few stones....old and new meet in the middle. A contrast my mind struggles to wrap around. Older couples sit at street cafes while young couples stroll hand in hand down the way wandering from shop to shop for the next "big purchase."

The smells of food fill my head as I go from house to house, visiting my new "church family". Every day it is a different house, a different meal, and a different experience - but always the smells. And outside, the air is so cold and fresh it stings my nose and makes my eyes water. Perfume is everywhere, but so is the smell of Diesel Fuel, and cigarette smoke and tonight - I am blessed by the familiar smell of rain.

Spain, in all its wonderful glory is a different world, a different culture. 1st world or not, Barcelona is NOT Harrisburg, PA...and so I've got to make sure that since I'm here now, I take it all in. I've GOT to experience everything I can to the fullest extent...Otherwise, I'm missing out...

I've got to see it,

hear it,

taste it,

and feel it...

So, as the day comes to a close...I allow myself the freedom to rest - but just before I close my eyes - I come to my senses...

And I listen
....tap, tap, tap....
to the rain.

~Beth



4 comments:

Erica said...

Awesome post! I love the descriptions! Who do I offer props to for this post? :)
I love you ladies!

Anonymous said...

Is that you, Beth? Amazing! Whoever it is, I hope your enthusiasm in writing rubs off on Audrey! ;)

My love to all you Spanish Roses!
Chris

Anonymous said...

And by the way, keep on feeling, but I'm sure you're right in needing to zone out and process all you are taking in every now and then! Blessings!

Laurie M said...

I completely agree with Audrey's mom--someone is an amazing writer over there!

We love you guys!
Laurie (and Dan)